Harry Oakman redesigned the western end of Queens Park in 1959 after the closure of the zoo the previous year. Regrading the land from the late 19th century rigid terraces and banks, the result was a return to the gradual slope down from George Street and the creation of a waterfall and cascade feeding into a new lagoon or lake. Oakman used the Mt Coot-tha bluestone for the rockwork and planted the landmark tree swamp cypress (Taxodium distichum) and travellors palm (Ravenala madagarensis). Under construction image of new water feature in the Botanic Gardens Brisbane City 1959 JOL29917-0025-0001 Henry Hacker photographer.
Photo taken in 1962 by Glenn S. Thomas. (Source: BCC B54-26458)