In 1867, the completion of the engineering feat of the Enoggera Dam was marked by the erection of this Drinking Fountain designed by Charles Tiffin, the Government Architect. The new facility which offered visitors clean water sourced back to the Dam in the foothills of Mt Coot-tha. In the 1970s it was renamed in honour of the first curator as the Walter Hill Drinking Fountain. This image from the 1890s shows the bamboo grove beyond sheltering the famed Fern Island. (Source: Mitchell Library)